When it comes to taking care of your carpets, do you know what to do and what not to do? It can be tricky, especially if you are a new homeowner or recently renovated.These are some general rules to follow to help you get the best lifespan out of your carpet and to protect your wallet!
- Use the right methods. The top cleaning methods include steaming, shampooing and dry cleaning. Using the wrong cleaning methods can cause just as much damage as not caring for your carpets at all!
- Use the right products. The top cleaning products are powdered detergent or shampoo. Research which products are best for your type of carpet.
- Use a carpet protector to help protect your carpet from dirt, dust and stains.
- Use doormats at each entrance of your home. Outside traffic is one of the biggest contributors to dirty carpets. Minimize that by having doormats for people to wipe their feet on.
- Invest in a quality vacuum and make use of it. The general rule of thumb is to vacuum three times a week.
- Invest in quality carpet — most manufacturers suggest replacing your carpet after ten years, so it is going to be in your house for a long time!
- Vacuum over loose carpet. It could make it worse! Gently cut it out of the carpet.
- Leave furniture in one place. Instead rearrange periodically so your carpet can breathe, homeowners suggest rearranging your furniture when the seasons change!
- Let stains sit. Clean them up as soon as you see them with some good carpet cleaner or else it may be too late!
- Do it Yourself. Hire a professional about once a year to come out and give your carpets the pampering you both deserve!
Always ask a professional if you have any questions about your carpets to see what you can do to improve them! Happy cleaning!